Nominate Your Hometown Hero for the 2014 Heroes Classic on Saturday, June 21
The Colorado Springs Sky Sox will be hosting the 2014 Heroes Classic Charity Softball Game on Saturday, June 21 with Hall of Famer Brooks Robinson in attendance along with many other former Major League players. Despite the many former players that will be on hand to play along side members of the Colorado Springs Police and Fire Departments as well as injured service members, the Sky Sox are still in need of one important position to fill out each roster, the manager.
In order to fill the all important manager position for each squad, the Sky Sox are asking the Colorado Springs community to nominate local citizens who have performed heroic acts right here in the Front Range region. If you know someone that deserves special recognition for a selfless act please go to www.skysox.com/heroes and fill out the online form created by Verizon Wireless to nominate that individual. The Sky Sox will be taking nominations all this week and will announce the two selected winners on Tuesday, June 17 at 5:00 PM.
The winners will be invited to the game as special VIP guests to serve as the honorary manager for one of the two teams. They will be in uniform in the dugout for the game and will be asked to enjoy the day with their players and work with Sky Sox staff to manage the various events going on throughout the game. Each hometown hero will also be recognized on the field during the game.
About the Heroes Classic: The event will raise funds for three outstanding charities, the Colorado Springs Fire Protective Association, The Police Foundation of Colorado Springs, and the Wounded Warrior Project. For each ticket purchased for the event, five dollars will go towards raising funds for these very worthy organizations. In addition, as part of the game day activities, the teams will don custom made uniforms and these unique, game worn jerseys will be auctioned off during and after the game with 100% of the proceeds benefitting the selected charities. To date, this event has raised close to $40,000 for charity.
During the game, there will be a special silent auction of all the players’ jerseys which will be held in the concourse at the main entrance of the stadium. Following the game, a live auction will be held on the Sky Sox dugout that will feature a select number of jerseys including Brooks Robinson’s. All jerseys will be autographed by the player that wore them and will be accompanied with a certificate of authenticity. The MLBPAA will also auction off a variety of baseball memorabilia during the game with a portion of the proceeds benefitting all three charities.
The two teams playing the game will consist of members of the Colorado Springs Police and Fire Departments as well as injured service members who will represent the Wounded Warrior Project.
In addition, each team will also include several former Major League baseball players, local media members and local dignitaries. Highlighting the former Major League players who will be attending the event is Hall of Fame third baseman Brooks Robinson who will be signing autographs for fans throughout the game. The night will culminate with a tremendous fireworks display following the game.
Tickets for the event come in two different options and can be purchased online at www.skysox.com, in person at the Sky Sox box office or by calling (719) 591-SOXX. Five dollars from each ticket purchased will be donated to and split evenly amongst the Colorado Springs Fire Protective Association, The Police Foundation of Colorado Springs, and the Wounded Warrior Project.
- A limited number of special VIP package tickets are available for $30 and include:
- An Upper Reserved ticket to the game.
- Access to a special VIP autograph session before the game with the former Major League players, including Brooks Robinson
- Membership in the MLBPAA
- Upgrade to a box seat for just $3 more
- Regular game tickets to the game will be $10 for Upper Reserved and $13 for Box Seats
- Group tickets can be purchased in advance for groups of 20 or more through the Sky Sox group sales department for $7 each.
Former Major League players that will be participating in the game include:
- Brooks Robinson: Hall of Fame third baseman, American League MVP in 1964, World Series MVP in 1970, 14-time All-Star, 16-time Gold Glove winner, played 23 seasons with the Baltimore Orioles, won two World Series with Baltimore 1966 & 1970.
- Bob Knepper: Two-time All-Star, pitcher played 15 seasons with San Francisco & Houston, won 146 games in his career including six season with 10 or more wins.
- Mark Knudson: A member of the Rockies inaugural 1993 team, pitcher played in eight seasons with Houston, Milwaukee & Colorado.
- Gary Krug: Mitchell High School grad and current Pine Creek JV Baseball Head Coach played for the Cubs in 1981, former Head Baseball Coach at Cheyenne Mountain High School.
- Brian Fisher: A 2nd round draft pick of the Atlanta Braves in 1980, the righty won 36 games in seven seasons with the Yankees, Pirates, Astros and Mariners.
- Bobby Johnson: A catcher & first baseman who played three season with the Texas Rangers. He is also the nephew of Hall of Famer Ernie Banks.
This article originally appeared on the official website of the . Click here to view the original story.