Here is a link to the original story on the team's website.
PAPILLION, Neb. – Applications for the Jackie Robinson Scholarship presented by The Weitz Company are currently open and due by March 11, 2022. The Chasers Charities-Robinson Athletic Scholarship program is administered by the Omaha Storm Chasers.
Winners of the scholarship will be notified no later than April 1, 2022 and receive one $1000 scholarship that is not renewable and is to be paid directly to the student’s accredited postsecondary institution. Winners will be recognized during the Storm Chasers’ home game against the Louisville Bats on Friday, April 15, with first pitch scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
The scholarship recognizes the impact Jackie Robinson—the first Black player in Major League Baseball history—had on America and the legacy he left for all Americans by supporting two local Black high school athletes for their hard work, character, and motivation to make a positive impact on our local community and society.
To be eligible to apply, the student must:
- Be a United States citizen or a permanent resident
- Reside in one of the following counties: Sarpy, Douglas, Cass, Lancaster, Pottawattamie
- Have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Be Black, male or female, and a high school student participating in athletics
- Be a high school senior or graduate planning to enroll in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited postsecondary institution
A student’s application must consist of:
- Current, complete transcripts of grades
- Letter of support from current supervising principal, coach, or guidance counselor
- Statement of how and why sports have been important in your life
- Essay answering the question: “Which athlete has inspired you and why” with examples included
Complete applications can be sent to:
c/o Omaha Storm Chasers Baseball Club
Attn: Jenna Kniss
12356 Ballpark Way
Papillion, NE 68046
Applicants may also send their application via e-mail to Community Relations Coordinator Jenna Kniss at [email protected] with all necessary attachments included. For questions or more information, applicants may contact Kniss via email at [email protected] or by phone at (402) 738-2193.
The Omaha Storm Chasers are scheduled to begin the 2022 season on April 5 at Indianapolis before welcoming fans to Werner Park for the home opener on April 12 vs. Louisville. The full 2022 schedule can be found here and single-game tickets are now available here.
For more tickets and more information, please visit omahastormchasers.com, call the Werner Park Ticket office at (402) 738-5100, and follow the team on social media. You can follow the team on Twitter @omastormchasers, on Instagram @omahastormchasers, and “like” the team on Facebook at facebook.com/omahastormchasers.